Personal: Dean of the Biology Faculty
Address:Department of Plant Cell Biology and Bioengineering,
Biology Faculty, Belarusian State University,
4 Independence Ave, 220030, Minsk, Belarus;
Doctor of Sciences (Habilitation), double in (1) Biophysics, and
(2) Plant Physiology & Biochemistry (Minsk, Belarus).
Fellow of High Education Academy (HEA UK), Postgraduate Certificate
in Higher Education Practice (PG CHEP; University of Essex, UK, 2010)
Candidate of Sciences (Ph.D.) in Plant Physiology,
Belarusian State University (Minsk, Belarus).
B.Sc., M.Sc. in Biology and Chemistry, First Class Honors, Belarusian State University.
March 2019 – now
September 2011 – March 2019
October 2005 – August 2011
January 2000 – September 2005
November 1997 – January 2000
Head of Faculty (Dean), Biological Faculty,
Belarusian State University, Belarus.
Head of Department, Department of Plant Cell Biology
and Bioengineering, Belarusian State University, Belarus.
Lecturer, Second Year Organiser, Department of
Biological Sciences, University of Essex, UK.
Postdoctoral Researcher, Department of Plant Sciences,
University of Cambridge, UK (Royal Society, BBSRC, Leverhulme Trust)
Assistant, Department of Physiology and Biochemistry of
Plants, Biological Faculty, Belarusian State University, Belarus.
– Plant ion channels, plasma membrane receptors and electrophysiology.
– Plant mineral nutrition and root architecture.
– Reactive oxygen species, redox regulation and oxidative stress in plants.
– Plant stress physiology (salinity, drought, heavy metals, aluminium, low pH and extreme temperatures).
– Ionic imbalance and programmed cell death in plants.
– Plant micropropagation in vitro and plant biotechnology.
– Plant phenotyping and phenomics.
– Plant nanobiology and green nanosynthesis.
Teaching, supervision and media
Reactive oxygen species in plants,
Free Radical Biology
Ph.D. students: Bandarenka U., Vetoshkin A., Hryvusevich P., Usnich S., Charnysh M., Shashko A.
Masters students: Kuchinskay V., Kaspiarovich K., Perkovskiy N.
Undergraduate students: Tolkacheva Y., Nitievskiy V., Guzarevich K.
Interviews: about 30; BBC, ONT, Belarusian National Channel 1, Interfax, Russian TASS etc.; about 10 articles in
Academic activities, awards (selected)
– Member of High Education Academy UK (since 2011)
– Head of Applied Biotechnology and Chemistry Section of the Belarusian Science and Technology Committee (since 2015)
– Scientific Secretary of High Attestation Commission of Belarus (since 2015)
– Vice-Chair of Belarusian Society of Plant Physiologists (since 2015)
– Associate editor of Functional Plant Biology, Algology, Advances in Horticultural Science, Deputy Chief Editor of the Journal of
Belarusian State University, Biology
About 90 papers in peer reviewed journals, including first authorship in Nature and Annual Reviews of Plant Biology. Web of
Science citations - 4780, Google scholar citations – 7538, h-index – 29.
List of principal publications
- Liu M, Yu H, Ouyang B, Shi C, Demidchik V, Hao Z, Yu M, Shabala S (2020) NADPH oxidases and the evolution of plant salinity tolerance. Plant Cell and Environment In press. doi.org/10.1111/pce.13907.
- Zvanarou S, Vágnerová R, Mackievic V, Usnich S, Smolich I, Sokolik A, Yu M, Huang X, Angelis KJ, Demidchik V (2020) Salt stress triggers generation of oxygen free radicals and DNA breaks in Physcomitrella patens protonema. Environmental and Experimental Botany 180: 104236.
- Voitsekhovskaja OV, Apollonov VI, Murtuzova AV, Rabadanova CK, Charnysh MA, Drozdova IV, Belyaeva AI, Kovaleva ON, Loskutov IG, Pawlowski K, Demidchik VV, Tyutereva EV (2020) Photosynthetic activity as assessed via chlorophyll a fluorescence suggests a role of potassium channels in root to shoot signalling. Photosynthetica 58: 608-621.
- Nayekova SK, Aubakirova KM Aitlessov, KK, Demidchik VV, Alikulov ZA (2020) Impact of diatomite priming of seeds of Hordeum vulgaris under salinity. EurAsian Journal of BioSciences 14: 705-712.
- Demidchik VV, Shashko AY, Bondarenko VY, Smolikova GN, Przhevalskaya DA, Chernysh MA, Pozhvanov GA, Barkosvkyi AV, Smplich II, Sokolik AI, Yu M, Medvedev SS (2020) Plant phenomics: fundamental bases, software and hardware platforms, and machine learning. Russian Journal of Plant Physiology 67: 397–412.
- Sharova EI, Medvedev SS, Demidchik VV (2020) Ascorbate in the аpoplast: metabolism and functions. Russian Journal of Plant Physiology 67: 207-220.
- Singh N, Bhatla SC, Demidchik V (2019) Plants and human beings engage similar molecular crosstalk with nitric oxide under stress conditions. Functional Plant Biology 46: 695-701.
- Shumilina J, Kusnetsova A, Tsarev A, van Rensburg JHC, Medvedev S, Demidchik V, den Ende WV, Frolov A (2019) Glycation of plant proteins: regulatory roles and interplay with sugar signalling? International Journal of Molecular Sciences 20: 2366.
- Medvedev S , Voronina O , Tankelyun O , Bilova T , Suslov D , Bankin M , Mackievic V , Makavitskaya M , Shishova M , Martinec J , Smolikova G , Sharova E , Demidchik V (2019) Phosphatidic acids mediate transport of Ca2+ and H+ through plant cell membranes. Functional Plant Biology 46: 533-542.
- Hurski AL, Kukel AG, Liubina AI, Baradzenka AG, Straltsova D, Demidchik V, Drašar P, Zhabinskii VN, Khripach VA (2019) Regio- and stereoselective C-H functionalization of brassinosteroids. Steroids 146: 92-98.
- Gill MB, Zeng F, Shabala L, Zhang G, Yu M, Demidchik V, Shabala S, Zhou M (2019) Identification of QTL related to ROS formation under hypoxia and their association with water logging and salt tolerance in barley. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 6: 699.
- Li X, Makavitskaya M, Samokhina V, Mackievic V, Navaselsky I, Hryvusevich P, Smolikova G, Medvedev S, Shabala S, Yu M, Demidchik V (2018) Effects of exogenously-applied L-ascorbic acid on root expansive growth and viability of the border-like cells. Plant Signalling and Behaviour 13: e1514895.
- Demidchik V, Shabala S, Isayenkov S, Cuin TA, Pottosin I (2018) Calcium transport across plant membranes: a mechanistic basis and roles in the plant physiology. New Phytologist 220: 49-69.
- Demidchik V (2018) ROS-activated ion channels in plants: biophysical characteristics, physiological functions and molecular nature. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 19: 1263.
- Makavitskaya M, Svistunenko D, Navaselsky I, Hryvusevich P, Mackievic V, Rabadanova C, Tyutereva E, Samokhina V, Straltsova D, Sokolik A, Voitsekhovskaja O, Demidchik V (2018) Novel roles of ascorbate in plants: induction of cytosolic Ca2+ signals and efflux from cells via anion channels. Journal of Experimental Botany 69: 3477-3489.
- Tyutereva EV, Dobryakova KS, SchiermeyerA, Shishova MF, Pawlowski K, Demidchik V, Reumann S, Voitsekhovskaja OV (2018) The levels of peroxisomal catalase protein and activity modulate the onset of cell death in tobacco BY-2 cells via ROS levels and autophagy. Functional Plant Biology 45: 247-258.
- Demidchik V, Maathuis F, Voitsekhovskaja O (2018) Unravelling the plant signalling machinery: an update on the cellular and genetic basis of plant signal transduction. Functional Plant Biology 45: 1-8.
- Demidchik V, Shabala S (2018) Mechanisms of cytosolic calcium elevation in plants: the role of ion channels, calcium extrusion systems and NADPH oxidase-mediated ‘ROS-Ca2+ Hub’. Functional Plant Biology 45: 9-27.
- Demidchik V, Tyutereva EV, Voitsekhovskaja OV (2018) The role of ion disequilibrium in induction of root cell death and autophagy by environmental stresses. Functional Plant Biology 45: 28-46.
- Sosan A, Svistunenko D, Straltsova D, Tsiurkina K, Smolich I, Lawson T, Subramaniam S, Golovko V, Anderson D, Sokolik A, Colbeck I, Demidchik V (2016) Engineered silver nanoparticles are sensed at the plasma membrane and dramatically modify physiology of Arabidopsis thaliana plants. Plant Journal. 85: 245-257.
- Malachowska-Ugarte M, Sperduto C, Ermolovich YV, Sauchuk AL, Jurášek M, Litvinovskaya RP, Straltsova D, Smolich I, Zhabinskii VN, Drašar P, Demidchik V, Khripach VA (2015) Brassinosteroid-BODIPY conjugates: Design, synthesis, and properties. Steroids 102: 53-59.
- Straltsova D, Chykun P, Subramaniam S, Sosan A, Kolbanov D, Sokolik A, Demidchik V (2015) Cation channels are involved in brassinosteroid signalling in higher plants. Steroids 97: 98-106.
- Demidchik V (2015) Mechanisms of oxidative stress in plants: From classical chemistry to cell biology. Environmental and Experimental Botany 109: 212-228.
- Demidchik V, Straltsova D, Medvedev SS, Pozhvanov GA, Sokolik A, Yurin V (2014) Stress-induced electrolyte leakage: the role of K+-permeable channels and involvement in programmed cell death and metabolic adjustment. Journal of Experimental Botany 65: 1259-1270.
- Demidchik V (2014) Mechanisms and physiological roles of K+ efflux from root cells. Journal of Plant Physiology 171: 696-707.
- Dark A, Demidchik V, Richards SL, Shabala S, Davies JM (2011) Release of extracellular purines from plant roots and effect on ion fluxes. Plant Signalling and Behaviour 6: 1855-1857.
- Demidchik V, Shang Z, Shin R, Shabala S, Davies JM (2011) Receptor-like activity evoked by extracellular ADP in Arabidopsis thaliana root epidermal plasma membrane. Plant Physiology 156: 1375-1385.
- Demidchik V, Cuin TA, Svistunenko D, Smith SJ, Miller AJ, Shabala S, Sokolik A, Yurin V (2010) Arabidopsis root K+ efflux conductance activated by hydroxyl radicals: single-channel properties, genetic basis and involvement in stress-induced cell death. Journal of Cell Science 123: 1468-1479.
- Thompson EP, Wilkins C, Demidchik V, Davies JM, Glover BJ (2010) An Arabidopsis flavonoid transporter is required for anther dehiscence and pollen development. Journal of Experimental Botany 61: 439-451.
- Demidchik V, Shang Z, Shin R, Thompson E, Rubio L, Chivasa S, Slabas AR, Glover BJ, Schachtman DP, Shabala SN, Davies JM (2009) Plant extracellular ATP signaling by plasma membrane NADPH oxidase and Ca2+ channels. Plant Journal 58: 903-913.
- Laohavisit A, Mortimer JC, Demidchik V, Coxon KM, Stancombe MA, Macpherson N, Brownlee C, Hofmann A, Webb AAR, Miedema H, Battey NH, Davies JM (2009) Zea mays annexins modulate cytosolic free Ca2+, form a Ca2+-permeable conductance and have peroxidase activity. Plant Cell 21: 479-493.
- Miedema H, Demidchik V, Véry AA, Bothwell JHF, Brownlee C, Davies JM (2008) Two voltage-dependent calcium channels co-exist in the apical plasma membrane of Arabidopsis thaliana root hairs. New Phytologist 179: 378–385.
- Demidchik V & Maathuis FJM (2007) Physiological roles of nonselective cation channels in plants: from salt stress to signalling and development. Tansley review. New Phytologist 175: 387-405.
- Demidchik V, Shabala S, Davies J (2007) Spatial variation in H2O2 response of Arabidopsis thaliana root epidermal Ca2+ flux and plasma membrane Ca2+ channels. Plant Journal 49: 377-386.
- Shabala S, Demidchik V, Shabala L, Cuin TA, Smith SJ, Miller AJ, Davies JM, Newman IA (2006) Extracellular Ca2+ ameliorates NaCl-induced K+ loss from Arabidopsis root and leaf cells by controlling plasma membrane K+-permeable channels. Plant Physiology 141: 1653-1665.
- Demidchik V, Macpherson N, Davies JM (2005) Potassium transport at the plasma membrane of the food spoilage yeast Zygosaccharomyces bailii. Yeast 22: 21-29.
- Demidchik V, Adobea P, Tester MA (2004) Glutamate activates sodium and calcium currents in the plasma membrane of Arabidopsis root cells. Planta 219: 167-175.
- Demidchik V, Nichols C, Oliynyk M, Glover B, Davies JM (2003) Is extracellular ATP a signalling agent in plants? Plant Physiology 133: 456-461.
- Foreman J, Demidchik V, Bothwell JHF, Mylona P, Miedema H, Torres MA, Linstead P, Costa S, Brownlee C, Jones JDG, Davies JM, Dolan L (2003) Reactive oxygen species produced by NADPH oxidase regulate plant cell growth. Nature 422: 442-446.
- Demidchik V, Shabala SN, Coutts KB, Tester MA, Davies JM (2003) Free oxygen radicals regulate plasma membrane Ca2+- and K+-permeable channels in plant root cells. Journal of Cell Science 116: 81-88.
- Demidchik V, Davenport RJ, Tester MA (2002) Nonselective cation channels in plants. Annual Reviews of Plant Biology 53: 67-107.
- Demidchik V, Bowen HC, Maathuis FJM, Shabala SN, Tester MA, White PJ, Davies JM (2002) Arabidopsis thaliana root nonselective cation channels mediate calcium uptake and are involved in growth. Plant Journal 32: 799-808.
- Demidchik V, Tester MA (2002) Sodium fluxes through nonselective cation channels in the plant plasma membrane of protoplasts from Arabidopsis roots. Plant Physiology 128: 379-387.
- White PJ, Bowen HC, Demidchik V, Nichols C, Davies JM (2002) Genes for calcium-permeable channels in the plasma membrane of plant root cells. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, Biomembranes 1564: 299-309.
- Demidchik V, Sokolik A, Yurin V (2001) Characteristics of non-specific permeability and H+-ATPase inhibition induced in the plasma membrane of Nitella flexilis by excessive Cu2+. Planta 212: 583-590.
- Demidchik V, Sokolik A, Yurin V (1997) The effect of Cu2+ on ion transport systems of the plant cell plasmalemma. Plant Physiology 114: 1313-1325.
Books and chapters (selected).
- Demidchik V (2017) Reactive oxygen species and their role in plant oxidative stress. In S. Shabala “Plant Stress Physiology” CAB International, Wallingford. P. 64-96.
- Demidchik V (2012) Characterisation of root plasma membrane Ca2+-permeable cation channels: techniques and basic concepts In AG Volkov “Plant Electrophysiology”, Springer-Verlag. Berlin, Heidelberg. P. 339-370.
- Demidchik V (2012) Reactive oxygen species and oxidative stress in plants. In S. Shabala “Plant Stress Physiology” CAB International, Wallingford. P. 24-58.
- Demidchik V, Maathuis FJM eds (2010) Ion channels and plant stress responses. Springer-Verlag. Berlin, Heidelberg, New York.
- Demidchik V (2010) Reactive oxygen species, oxidative stress and plant ion channels. In Demidchik V and Maathuis FJM eds. Ion channels and plant stress responses. Springer-Verlag. Berlin, Heidelberg, New York. P. 207-232.
- Demidchik V, Sokolik A, Yurin V (2006) Electrophysiological characterisation of plant cation channels. In A.G. Volkov "Plant Electrophysiology: Theory and Methods". Springer-Verlag. Berlin, Heidelberg, New York. P. 173-185.
- Demidchik V (2006) Physiological roles of plant nonselective cation channels. In F. Baluska, S. Mancuso, D. Volkmann "Plant Neurobiology". Springer-Verlag. Berlin, Heidelberg, New York. P. 235-248.
Page last updated: 29.10.2020 00:46