MOLECULAR BIOLOGY DEPARTMENT
Address: 4, Nezavisimost ave., Minsk, 220030 Belarus
Web page: http://bio.bsu.by/molbiol
Location: 10, Kurchatova str., Minsk, 4d floor.
The Department of Molecular Biology was founded in 2002.
The Head of the Department – Professor Anatoli Nikolaevich Evtushenkov.
Professor: A.N. Evtushenkov.
Associate Professors: Y.A. Nikolaichik, A.M. Khodosovskaya, O.B. Rus’, A.L. Lagonenko, L.N. Valentovich, D.V. Galinovsky, A.V. Kachan.
Assistants: O.A. Badalyan.
Scientists: E.V. Kulik, Yu.V. Selezneva, O.K. Prisyazhnenko.
Technicians: J.B. Sudnitsyna, N.A. Kulazhenko.
Main courses of studies:
Introduction to Biotechnology
Molecular Fundamentals of Ontogenesis
Cell Metabolism Regulation
Introduction to Molecular Biology
Cell Biopolymers and Methods of Their Analysis
Regulatory Mechanisms of the Cell
Structural and Functional Genome Organization of Pro- and Eukaryotes
Molecular Fundamentals of Developmental Biology
Molecular Biology of Yeasts
Molecular Fundamentals of Antioxidant Systems Functioning
Molecular Fundamentals of Biosignaling
The main directions of research in the department
- Studies on molecular mechanisms of interaction of phytopathogenic microorganisms with plants;
- Molecular biotechnology of biologically active substances (enzymes, pigments) and construction of strains producing substances used in industry;
- Development of diagnostic tools for phytopathogens of agricultural plants;
- Investigation of protein secretion systems in bacteria;
- Biotechnology of the high quality flax fiber production.
The main scientific achievements
- The structure of the hrp gene cluster coding for the type III secretion system of the phytopathogenic bacteria Pectobacterium carotovorum was investigated. The role of general proteins (DspE, HrpJ, HrpW and HrpN), secreted by their system, in interaction with plants, was characterized. Nicotiana tabacum L. plants, expressing the hrpN, hrpW and hrpJ transgenes, were constructed and characterized.
- A bacterial producer of glucose isomerase which originated from Arthrobacter was constructed. It is characterized by high level of the enzyme synthesis.
- Bacterial strains accumulating either carotene or lycopene were constructed.
- Plasmid vectors were constructed to direct recombinant protein secretion out of cytoplasm to the periplasmic space.
- Bacterial strains suitable for flax fiber extraction were isolated. They are able to accelerate process of flax fiber extraction significantly and could be used for industrial production of grade fibers.
Students have the opportunity to carry out research work at the Laboratory of Molecular biotechnology under the supervision of associate professor Y.A. Nikolaichik. The main direction of research in the laboratory is study of interaction of phytopathogenic Pectibacteria with Solanaceae plants. Since the organization of the laboratory about 20 students have participated in scientific experiments. There are more then 40 research papers published by students as co-authors.
Educational materials, published by the stuff of the department
1. Evtushenkov A.N., Fomichev Ju.K. Introduction to Biotechnology: lecture course. Minsk: BGU, 2002. 105 pp. (in Russian).
2. Nikolaichik Y.A. Cell Metabolism Regulation: lecture course. Minsk: BGU, 2006, 165pp. (in Russian).
3. Evtushenkov A.N., Zheldakova R.A., Rus' O.B., Khodosovskaya A.M. Virology.Methodical recommendations to laboratory. Minsk: BGU, 2006. 47 pp. (in Russian).
1. Lagonenko A.L., Ovchinnikova T.V., Nikolaichik Y.A., Evtushenkov A.N. Characterization of the HrpJ protein, a component of the type III secretion machinery of Erwinia carotovora subsp. atroseptica// Reports of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus. 2004. Vol.48. №5. P. 74-78 (in Russian).
2. Ovchinnikova TV, Lagonenko AL, Evtushenkov AN, Nikolaichik YA. The use of alternative sigma factor HrpL to improve expression of the type III secretion machinery of Erwinia carotovora subsp. atroseptica // Biotechnology in agriculture and the food industry. Nova Science Publishers, Inc., New York, 2004. Р. 141-148.
3. Nikolaichik Y. A., Ovchinnikova T. V., Valentovich L. N., Gubich O. I., Sholukh M. V., Evtushenkov A. N. DspE protein is translocated by phytopathogenic bacteria Erwinia carotovora subsp. atroseptica into the cells of Nicotiana tabacum and is required for the induction of the hypersensitive reaction // Reports of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus. 2005. Vol. 49. № 5. P. 81-85 (in Russian).
4. Selezneva Ju.V. Identification of the Pantoea agglomerans gene influencing on carotene production // The National Academy of Sciences of Belarus News. Biological chapter. 2005. №3. P. 67-69 (in Russian).
5. Nikolaichik Y.A., Lagonenko A.L., Valentovich L.N., Leshkovich I.I., Ovchinnikova T.V., Prisyazhnenko O.K., Doruzhinskaya N.G., Limorova I.M., Evtushenkov A.N. Molecular mechanisms of interaction of phytopathogenic bacteria Erwinia with plants // Belarussian state university messenger. Ser. 2: Cem. Biol. Geogr. 2006. №3. P. 60-64 (in Russian).
6. Sapunova L.I., Lobanok A.G., Kazakevich I.O., Shlyakhotko E.A., Evtushenkov A.N. Biosynthetic features and properties of xylose isomerases from Arthrobacter nicotianae, Escherichia coli, and Erwinia carotovota subsp. atroseptica // Applied biochemistry and microbiology. 2006. Vol. 42. № 3. P. 279-284 (in Russian).
7. Doruzhinskaya N. G., Kulik E. V., Nikolaichik Y. A, Evtushenkov A. N. Construction of a vector with the lieder sequence of the pectate lyase gene of Erwinia chrysanthemi to direct cytoplasmic proteins to the periplasmic space of Escherichia coli // Molecular and applied genetics: scientific proceedings. Vol.3. Minsk, 2006. P. 42–46 (in Russian).
8. Lagonenko A. L., Nikolaichik Y. A., Evtushenkov A. N. Characterization of harpin HrpW of Erwinia catotovora subsp. atroseptica // Reports of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus. 2006. Vol.50. №1. P. 70−73 (in Russian).
9. Nikolaichik E. A., Lagonenko A. L., Valentovich L. N., Prisyazhenko O. K., Evtushenkov A.N. Comparative characteristics of HrpN harpins from Erwinia carotovora and Erwinia amylovora // Reports of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus. 2007. Vol.51. №3. P. 81-85 (in Russian).
10. Shlyakhotko E. A., Sapunova L. I., Lobanok A. G., Korzhik A. M., Evtushenkov A. N. Lactose induced synthesis of xylose isomerase in Escherichia coli BL21(DE3)/pET24bxylA recombinant strain// Reports of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus. 2007. Vol.51. №4. P. 52-56 (in Russian).
11. Prisyazhnenko O. K., Nikolaichik Y. A., Evtushenkov A. N. Expression of harpin HrpN gene of Erwinia carotovora subsp. atroseptica in trangenic tobacco plants induces resistance genes // Reports of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus. 2007. Vol.51. №5. P. 85-89 (in Russian).
12. Lagonenko A.L., Komardina V.S., Nikolaichik Y.A., Evtushenkov A.N. First report of Erwinia amylovora fire blight in Belarus // J. Phytopathology. 2008. Vol. 156. Р. 638–640.
13. Valentovich L. N., Gubich O. I., Nikolaichik Y. A. Role of the DspF protein of Erwina carotovora subsp. atroseptica in the functioning of the type III secretion system // Reports of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus. 2008. Т.52. №5. P. 79-85 (in Russian).
14. Lagonenko A.L., Kastritsckaya M.S., Kukharchyk N.V., Evtushenkov A.N. Fire blight resistance of Belarusian apple and pear varieties // FRUIT-GROWING. 2008. Vol.20. P. 34 – 39 (in Russian).
15. Rus' O.B., Evtushenkov A.N. The characteristic of native isolate Bacillus sp. 406 producing thermostable amylase // Belarussian state university messenger. Ser. 2: Cem. Biol. Geogr. 2008. № 3. P. 47-50 (in Russian).
16. Hodosovskaya A.M., Rus' O.B. Training course for the student-biotechnologists (elaboration of the Molecular biology department of Belorussian State university // High school. 2008. № 5. S. 61-63 (in Russian).
Page updated: 15.02.2015 14:44